It all began in 1956 when Betty's father Aleck built a fish shack by the Stewart River on Highway 61. Betty thought it would be a good idea to have some goodies for the fishermen when they stopped in, so she started making donuts and coffee for them to enjoy.
Well, one thing led to another and Betty began selling hamburgers and hot dogs. Customers didn't really like looking at dead fish while they were eating, so in 1958 Betty turned the old fish stand into a café that she named "Betty's Cafe". She also added pies to her menu.
Eventually Betty expanded the café by adding a lunch counter and more seating, of course the pie selection expanded too. People were now beginning to make it a regular stop on their way to cabins and resorts along the North Shore.